Sunday, February 12, 2006

E-mail Feedback on the Training Program Posts

I have received several e-mails about the training program posts. Good feedback. I will address two of the general themes.

1) I received some inquiries about my experience and credentials. These are valid and resonable questions. I think pretty much anything above "Go out and run some 400's" deserves some scrutiny. I have no formal training other than my personal experience, reading books, working with Bryan Doo (strength coach for the Celtics), and several e-mails with Rob Sleamaker. I do not make any suggestions about strength training, as I think lifting heavy weights needs to be advised by a professional. I do feel comfortable essentially recommending that people run slowly in the off-season.

2) Concerns about developing fast twitch muscles

Some folks have concerns that focusing on slow twitch muscles in the off-season will come at the expense of developing fast twitch muscles when it counts. I understand this, and I think it comes down to scheduling. You need to answer for yourself when you need to begin doing speed work. My opinion is that 3-4 months is plenty of time to get your fast twitch muscles firing as you need. If your peak is in Sept, that means starting speed work in mid April-beginning of May. This leaves plenty of time (roughly Dec-April) to do beneficial aerobic work that does not come at the expense of when you would normally begin your speed work.

No comments: